This week has really been focused on the kids. We had a death in the family and it's really made me reflect on how precious my time is with Zach and Ryan. We've had a great week and the kids have cracked me up.
I have to share my afternoon conversation with Zach. He brought home a penny from preschool and at first I couldn't figure out why they sent home a penny. Later on, Zach told me that his teacher helped him clean the penny. Finally, I was able to see that they dipped the penny in the baking soda mixture that does the cleaning. He was very proud of cleaning his penny. Zach is obsessed with cleaning just about anything, except picking up his toys.
A bit later Zach comes up to me and says "Mr. Ham Lincoln is on the penny. He was a president." This came out of no where. I was on the phone with my mom and Zach just walked up to tell me this tidbit of information. I wasn't sure where it came from and was trying hard not to laugh at the "Ham Lincoln" part. Then he continues to tell me "Mom, when Ham Lincoln was around, they didn't have a car, they used trains." At this point, I'm honestly boasting that I have a smart son. I was shocked that any of this came out of his mouth. Then I start to wonder how long he has been pondering to tell me this. He tends think things for days and then tell them to us.
My mother is busting up on the phone, because all of this conversation took place while I was talking to her. He wasn't finished yet. He pulls out the best one. I saw him thinking and for those of you with little ones, watch your kids as they get older, you can actually watch them think. It's pretty funny. Zach kept saying "Ham was the first, ... first...first" and I thought I would help him by saying, "Was he the first president?" Zach immediately shouts back, "No Mom! Mr. George Washington was the first president!" Then he looked at me like as if in total shock that I have no idea about who George was?
Comes to find out, they read a book about the President's in Preschool this week, since it was President's Day. I just think it's so funny that an almost 4 year old was telling me who the first president of the United States was. Did we do that? Do they really need to know this at age 3? But, then I am so excited that he loves to learn. And I am so blessed that he wants to learn.
So, seeing his interest in politics grow this week, I'm moved to buy him his first political shirt. www.cafepress.com I, of course, will have to buy one for Ryan too. Maybe I can find "the littlest Democrat" onesie. That would be pretty cute. If any of you know a better place to find these, let me know! Or better yet, see if you can find a "Ham Lincoln" shirt for Zach!
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment